Research, book search and repair web sites

Walter Koenig amoxtli at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jun 3 18:51:49 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I would like to share four web-sites with you which I hope you will
find useful:

1.) The Karlsruhe University Library provides a search engine for
researching 39 Libraries in 17 different countries.  This includes
the Library of Congress and the British and French National Libraries
and Union Catalogs. This is a helpful research tool as the British
Union Catalog alone, for example, is a merged online catalogue of 24
University Libraries in the UK and Ireland, plus the British Library,
Library of Scotland, and the National Library of Wales. Clicking on
any of the Library links connects the researcher to that Library or
Catalog.

  http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib/en/kvk.html

2.) This web site searches for used and new books from over 40 sites,
incluiding alibris.com and abe.com. This is helpful for comparing the
cost of books and it also includes the shipping costs for US States
and various countries. There are similar sites, such as
allbookstores.com, but I have found addall to be the most reliable.

http://www.addall.com/

3.) This site is a book repair site from Dartmouth College which is
most helpful for learning to repair books such as dictionaries which
get heavy use. Don't ever use scotch tape to repair a book. Get
gummed linen book repair tape and the repair will last a life time.
This site shows you how to do it.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/repair/repairindex.htm

4.) This last site is for a book repair kit. I have not used it
personally, but have heard from someone that it was helpful.

http://www.bookbindingfb.com/kit.html

Best Wishes,

Walter O. Koenig