Symposium in Seville, July 2006

John F. Schwaller schwallr at morris.umn.edu
Mon Mar 7 17:06:41 UTC 2005

"Translation, Interpretation, and Transculturation: The cultural dialogue
of native language texts written by Europeans and by natives in colonial
Latin America"

The 52nd International Congress of Americanists will be held in Seville
between July 17th and July 26th 2006.  Symposia proposals are still being
accepted until March 30, of 2005 (two weeks away).  Several colleagues have
encouraged me to propose a symposium on issues of translation,
interpretation and transculturation involving texts in native languages,
composed either by native persons or Spaniards.  The thrust of the
symposium will look at the cultural dialogue that these texts represent:
the acquisition by the Spanish of native cultural traits and their
reinterpretation, along with the acquisition of Spanish cultural traits by
native persons and their subsequent reinterpretation.

Persons interested in joining this symposium should send me an abstract of
their paper, approximately a page in length, preferentially before March
25, to allow for time to collate the proposals.

John F. Schwaller
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 E. 4th Street
Morris, MN  56267
320-589-6015