What kind of nawatl?

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen teddy_30 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 5 16:25:55 UTC 2005

Hi Walter

I was wondering what kind of nawatl you want to translate, is it classical
nawatl or some modern dialect?
If your interest lies with classical nawatl then the best dictionary you can
get is "Vocabulario en lengua castellana y mexicana" by Alonso de Molina.
That of course requires knowledge of spanish. The other option of getting
the Molina information is by getting your hands on "A Morphological
Dictionary of Classical Nahuatl: Index to the Vocabulario en lengua mexicana
y castellana of Fray Alonso de Molina" by Joe Campbell. If you know french
then there is a dictionary in french partially based on Molinas Vocabulario
as well, its called "Dictionnaire de la Langue Nahuatl ou Mexicaine" by Rémi
Siméon. The most frequently used words of Molinas Vocabulario appears in An
Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl by Frances Karttunen. Of course you should
be aware that some of the entries are based on classical nawatl material
while others are drawn from modern sources.
I hope you will find the diccionary you are looking for or at least a
library that has it.
Best regards

Steffen H.-Larsen, University of Copenhagen