ordinal numbers

José Rabasa jrabasa at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun May 15 00:14:51 UTC 2005

Dear Listeros:

I am working on the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca and found sections of
the first folio incomprehensible. Accorfing to Kirchhoff's
transcription:

chacui ---chini tanquehue xihuiqui motlatzin ximotlali ypan ycpalli --- chitao

xihuiqui motlatzin ximotlali ypan ycpalli (xi-huica mo-tlatzin
xi-motlali y-pan ycpalli: come uncle sit on the seat)

I don't know (like Kirchhoff) what to make out of "chacui chini
tanquehue"  and the "chitao" at the end. Likewise with

chacui qieaha tanquehe

chacui tachi  tanquehue

Chontana dios chati (dios is easy enough) etc.

I am wondering if these phrases are sounds that convey cries for gathering.

I would appreciate any light on these.

Jose Rabasa