ordinal numbers

Michael Swanton mwswanton at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 17 20:55:16 UTC 2005

The curious text on the first folio of the Historia
Tolteca-Chichimeca is bilingual: Nahuatl-Popoloca. The
parts you found incomprehensible are the Popoloca
parts.

Actually, the second language on this page was
correctly identified by Walter Lehmann in the 1920s.
It was later explored further by Preuss & Mengin in
their 1938 edition of the HTCh. Su servidor published
a short, speculative article on this text a couple
years ago, which has an online accessible version
(http://www.colmich.edu.mx/relaciones/86/pdf/Michael%20W.%20Swanton.pdf).
The references should be there. I hope this is of some
help.

regards,
Mike Swanton

--- José Rabasa <jrabasa at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:
> Dear Listeros:
>
> I am working on the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca and
> found sections of
> the first folio incomprehensible. Accorfing to
> Kirchhoff's
> transcription:
>
> chacui ---chini tanquehue xihuiqui motlatzin
> ximotlali ypan ycpalli --- chitao
>
> xihuiqui motlatzin ximotlali ypan ycpalli (xi-huica
> mo-tlatzin
> xi-motlali y-pan ycpalli: come uncle sit on the
> seat)
>
> I don't know (like Kirchhoff) what to make out of
> "chacui chini
> tanquehue"  and the "chitao" at the end. Likewise
> with
>
> chacui qieaha tanquehe
>
> chacui tachi  tanquehue
>

> Chontana dios chati (dios is easy enough) etc.
>
> I am wondering if these phrases are sounds that
> convey cries for gathering.
>
> I would appreciate any light on these.
>
> Jose Rabasa

Discover Yahoo!