Aztec Nahua Gender

Caroline Dodds ced44 at CAM.AC.UK
Thu May 19 08:21:24 UTC 2005

I am currently converting my doctorate on pre-conquest Aztec gender roles
into a book and, if you would like to contact me directly off the list, then
I would be happy to try and give advice on specific aspects if your student
would find that helpful. I also have a large bibliography on pre-conquest
gender which I would be happy to send directly if you would like. (I don't
know what level your student is working at.)

A few selected studies, however, would be:

Anna-Britta Hellbom, La participacion cultural de las mujeres: Indias y
Mestizas en el México precortesiano y postrevolucionario (Stockholm, 1967).
Cecelia F. Klein (ed.), Gender in Pre-Hispanic America (Dumbarton Oaks,
2001).
Sharisse D. McCafferty, and Geoffrey D. McCafferty, 'The Metamorphosis of
Xochiquetzal: A Window on Womanhood in Pre- and Post-Conquest Mexico', in T.
Sweely (ed)., Manifesting Power: Gender and the Interpretation of Power in
Archaeology (London, 1999), pp.103-25.
María J. Rodríguez-Shadow, La mujer azteca (Toluca, 1991).
Alan R. Sandstrom, Corn Is Our Blood: Culture and Ethnic Identity in a
Contemporary Aztec Indian Village (Norman, 1991).
Susan Schroeder, Stephanie Wood, and Robert Haskett (eds.), Indian Women of
Early Mexico: Identity, Ethnicity, and Gender Differentiation (Norman,
1997).

Yours,
Caroline Dodds
-----