tepi

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Mon May 23 18:58:56 UTC 2005

Lori, thank you. Of course. This makes a lot of sense. This is very
interesting, and just goes to show that the whole "-mapichtli" angle
that we were following was misguided from the start. This resolves the
"puzzle" that I mentioned. As I said in my original response, aside from
all the interesting things that can be said about verbal morphology,
glyph morphology, and their relationship, there didn't seem to be any
way to associate the glyph with the name "Tepi" that Delia gave from the
document. That was the real puzzling thing. I would be willing to bet,
and I'm sure Delia will probably confirm that the woman's name was Ana.
Lori, I think your explication of the glyph might be valid with the "ma"
being a close pun on "-na". But I wonder if it might be more likely that
this is an interesting example of the kind of phenomenological
configuration that you also see in more complex non-rebus pictographic
images (from the Laud codex, for example) where in some cases you have
two elements combined, one of which is contained within the other. This
type of interpretation would see the hand grasping the water as
indicating "ana" which means "to grab" and the water glyph would also
pun on [atl] to indicate the verbal segment [a] which begins the name
"Ana." The point being that you can't really grab without grabbing
something. So, they take advantage of the the phenomenological necessity
of the coupling of the grabbing and the object being grabbed to
reinforce the phonetic aspect of the word indicated.
Galen