tepi

Lori Boornazian Diel L.Diel at TCU.EDU
Tue May 24 15:00:07 UTC 2005

I think Galen is right about the hand grasping glyph being read as "to
grasp" instead of as "hand," with the water then acting as both the
something grasped and a phonetic indicator.  Indeed, I just went back over
my M.A. Thesis ("A Comparative Study of Personal and Place Names in the
Aztec and Mayan Writing Systems," Tulane, 1996) in which I have a chapter on
Spanish names in Aztec writing and found the original citation for the Juan
glyph:  Robert Barlow in his study of the Codex of Tlatelolco identified the
Juan glyph and reads ana just as Galen did (see Tlatelolco: Fuentes e
Historia. Obras de Robert Barlow, vol. 2, INAH, 1989, p. 343).
In the Codex Aubin, the glyph has an associated annotation about the death
of a woman named Ana.
Lori

--
Lori Boornazian Diel