Chimalpahin

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Thu May 26 18:42:52 UTC 2005

Jose,
Rikke Marie beat me to the answer, and I think the translation is
certainly correct, but I would add a couple of things and a question for
Rikke Marie or anybody else.
First, it is just interesting to note that Nahuat texts often make our
job a lot easier, because as in the case you cite Nahuatl discoruse has
a tendency to express the same idea repeatedly using a variety of
different words. Such synonymous expressions are not always exactly the
same, which helps give you a more complete picture of what is being
conveyed. Nevertheless, when they provide a series of more or less
synonymous expressions, it makes it easier to figure out any given one
of them that may not be as morphologically transparent as the rest.
With regard to the specific phrase you mention, it would seem to be
clear that the "o" is from "ohtli" or "otli" meaning "road" or "path",
and that otlatoca means to follow a path or a road. This is well
attested. But I'm curious about the "tla" in this construction. Is it
merely a transformation of the absolutive suffix "tli" in order to avoid
a short word? Are there a lot of examples of this kind of thing? Or is
there another explanation? Of course, the first thing that comes to mind
is a kind of fossilized non-specific object pronoun (which is evident in
some other verbs), but I really don't know, especially given the fact
that it is clear that "toca" does not always appear with this object
pronoun. So it certainly isn't always fossilized. I know this doesn't
really pose a problem for translation, because "otlatoca" is well
attested in other contexts, including the instance just a few words
earlier in this same text. So this is just a question to satisfy the
morphological rigor that Joe instilled me :-).
With regard to "cecente[tl]", part of the problem is that to classify
Nahuatl words as nouns, ajectives, and verbs is sometimes misleading.
The point is that self-conscious grammar enters into a dialogic
relationship with linguistic practice in ways that tend to codify
language in clear cut ways that do not necessarily reflect the more
flexible and nebulous linguistic ontology of unfettered oral speech that
has not been subject to a process of self-conscious grammaticalization.
So, although in some cases "cecente-" may seem to function as what we
call an ajective, as Rikki Marie points out technically it is a noun
because it has that noun root 'te' from 'tetl', and nouns (normally
defined in Nahuatl as words that take absolutive suffixes) can be
imbedded in verbs to function as either objects or adverbs as defined by
modern grammatical categories. With the duplication of the "ce", the
"cecente" might be rendered as "each one." The plural "ilhuicame" at the
end seems to suggest that it is talking about celestial planes. (Is he
talking here perhaps about the European model of concentric heavens?) So
it seems to me that the phrase "cecenteotlatoca" could be understood as
saying literally "They path-followed in an each-one like way" which
would translate more eloquently in English as "Each one followed its
path" or maybe even better "They followed their respective paths."
Galen