Chimalpahin

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Thu May 26 22:20:34 UTC 2005

Jose,
I think you are right to point out that to write a language
alphabetically inherently implies a certain level of linguistic
self-consciousness. And, of course, Chimalpahin was producing written
langauge. Nevertheless, in spite of the project of colonial grammarians,
general Nahuatl linguistic practice did not really develop in any kind
of dialogue with a metadiscourse on language such as grammar. So merely
the act of writing it down does not necessarily automatically make the
language conform to foreign grammatical categories. John Sullivan's
project in Zacatecas has been grappling precisely with this issue trying
to come up with organic ways to conceptualize the language in order to
facilitate a Nahuatl linguistic self-reflexiveness that does not of
necessity depend on Spanish or English categories and concepts (please
correct me John if I am misrepresenting the nature of your project). One
might argue that this situation also characterized medieval and early
modern Spanish linguistic practice among most sectors of society. And
frankly, I'm not sure to what extent my argument about the relationship
between the rigidity of formal grammatical categories and alphabetic
writing is or is not universally valid across languages and cultures.
But there was a long tradition of alphabetically written Spanish that
had developed in relation to linguistic metadiscourses that involved
grammar. Eventhough the first Spanish grammar appeared rather late, the
conceptualization of language was still very much influenced by Latin
grammar. After all, grammar was part of the trivium. But one can't help
but suspect that if Nahuatl had pursued the phonographic option, of
which they were clearly aware, and had developed a linguistic
metadiscourse in dialogic relation to it, then their linguistic science
may have looked very different from ours. In other words, perhaps
Nahuatl has a different linguistic ontology regardless of whether or not
you write it alphabetically. Of course, the materiality from which
consciousness and language spring means that there will always be enough
in common that we can certainly adapt our own linguistic metadiscourse
(in a sense we have no other choice) to any language and in many cases
it adapts really well, but don't you often feel that in some cases it
just isn't always quite adequate?
With regard to the possibility of the pun, actually, I just got so
wrapped up in the morphological analysis that I forgot about that part
of your message. First, I don't think we can read anything into the fact
that "cecenteotlatoca" doesn't have a reflexive "mo" while the previous
words do. The earlier "otlatoca" isn't reflexive either. I think there
are semantic and grammatical reasons for this.  The reason it does not
have a "mo" is because they are not following themselves but rather
their respective paths or each other as you suggest. The words
malacachoa and panahuia are transitive verbs requiring objects, so they
  kind of have to use the reflexive "mo". He could have used an
intransitive verb form like malacachihui to avoid using the reflexive
object "mo", but then you wouldn't get the same sense of agency on the
part of the celestial bodies or planes or whatever it is he is talking
about, which is consistent with a Nahuatl cosmology that ascribes
animacy to these kinds of things as indicated by the plural ending "me"
on ilhuicame.
The separation between the sequence of three fairly synonymous
expressions from the final phrase would seem to be consistent with the
attempt to sum it all up with the final phrase, which is also rather
interesting. The "ynic izqui tlanepanoltitimani ilhuicame" means
literally something like "they all lie spread out [mani] stacked up
[nepanolli] in the heavens in that manner [ynic]". The nepanolli that is
embedded there has the sense of things crossed, intersected, or piled up
on top of one another. It is derived from the verb panoa which means "to
cross." So, the word may convey both the notion of crossing in the sense
of movement but also crossing in the sense of an overlapping or piling
up. which is another reason why it seemed like it could have
corresponded to his description of the European cosmology of concentric
heavens.
With regard to the question about the pun on "cecenteotlatoca", I don't
think there is any phonological reason why you couldn't read it as a
pun. The thing about puns, as you know, is that they don't have to be
based on perfect homophony. However, I don't know how you could
determine if it was actually intended to be a pun or if they ever
thought of it in that way, by which I assume you mean that it was
intended to be read as being polysemic. The fact that there was a
tradition of pictographic punning certainly suggests that this kind of
verbal punning went on. Is there any other indication in the text that
calls attention to, or indicates such verbal puns in a more
self-conscious way?
Galen