Chimalpahin

campbel at INDIANA.EDU campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Fri May 27 04:46:52 UTC 2005

Dear Rikke Marie,

   I'm sure that when Una was talking about "tla" and "tli", she was referring
to the historical evolution of the form of the absolutive suffix in final
position.  I doubt that she was referring to an internal "tla", since nouns
don't retain their absolutive suffixes when they are non-final and either
compounded or embedded in verbs.  Of course, there are some noteworthy
exceptional forms where a part of the absolutive suffix "peeks through" -- as in
"altepetl" or in the placename "Alpoyecan".  But there is a reason why we
consider these forms **exceptional**!  That's because the absolutive suffix
doesn't appear word-internally!

   I didn't say that "tlatoca" involves an inanimate object of -tla.  What I
said was that the "tla-" (which is an object at some stage of the word
derivation -- and is an object in dynamically form verbs) is fused to the
verbstem, creating, at the surface level, an intransitive unit.  Thus, there are
not *two* noun elements involved before the verbstem, only one: "oh-".  *But*
since "tlatoca" is intransitive, "oh-" does not fulfill the role of object --
it acts adverbially, just as many nouns function before intransitive verbstems
(e.g., "ni-coyo-nehnemi", 'I crawl on all fours').  So "toca doesn't have two
objects, or even one object -- it has no objects.

Saludos,

Joe