Chimalpahin

Rikke Marie Olsen dr.rom at DANSEMUS.DK
Fri May 27 13:37:06 UTC 2005

I agree, Michael.

Joe, you may well be right. However, I didn't say that it wasn't an
exceptional form to have òtli with its original absolutive suffix
incorporated into -toca. Obviously it is. But as we already discussed, it is
not unprecedented: altepetl, atli (to drink water), atlacui.

Michel Launey backs you up in that you can have a monotransitive form with a
fossilized or fused tla, and still have a nominal root. In fact the nominal
root can still function as an object because the -tla looses its right as an
object in these cases.

Where I'm not entirely convinced yet is where I don't have any examples of
tlatoca without the ò-. If it is in fact a fossilized form in classical
nahuatl, it should exist in the original documents.

I looked at Eisinger's Index to Florentine Codex, Molina's dictionary,
Carochi and Michel Launey, and was not able to find a form of tlatoca
without the ò-. Also I tried to find it with other nominal roots, as I
figured you could follow other things than roads, but still no hit.

Does anyone have any examples of the verb tlatoca (in the sense of following
something) from an original source?

Rikke Marie

Ps. Una actually did talk about the internal -tla-, because we discussed the
word òtlatoca, as it appears in Florentine Codex 8 (in the story of
Nanahuatzin and Teucziztecatl turning into the sun and the moon).