altepetl

zorrah at ATT.NET zorrah at ATT.NET
Sat May 28 21:28:00 UTC 2005

sorry, this is a just a repeat of my last message without the typos (since there's no editing feature).  I always get scrambled when I try to use those colons to mark long vowels...

I think I just realized the reason for a:tl (water) + tepe:tl (hill) = a:ltepe:tl, by looking at another example:
The <a:l> looks (or rather sounds) more like a stem ending as in the example:
tla:lli + tohpolli = tla:ltohpolli 'terrace'

The weird thing, or perhaps magical thing about the connection is that it acts more like chemistry rather than "assimilation" or what ever term they give it.
tlazohcamati
citlalin xochime

-------------- Original message from zorrah at att.net: --------------

I think I just realized the reason for a:tl (water) + tepe:tl (hill) = a:ltepe:tl, by looking at another example:
The al: looks (or rather sounds) more like a stem ending as in the example:
tla:lli + tohpohlli = tla:ltohpolli 'terrace'