altepetl and sacred landscape

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Sat May 28 22:57:25 UTC 2005

Compañeros,
        Just a comment on the term "altepetl". Yes, a town needs water. But
curiously enough, when nahuas established settlements, they preferred
places like valleys, rinconadas, and ravines, where flooding often
occured. The mountain is not used to escape this.
        "Altepetl" can only by understood within the context of sacred
landscape. The mountain is a container of life, like a womb, a breast,
a piece of fruit, or the primordial lake of Aztlán. Often it has caves
with springs, which represent, Chicomostoc, the mythic passage between
the primordial lake of creation and Colhuahcan, the settlements or
altepetl, established by ancient migrating groups of people. Aside from
proximity to a main sacred hill, the settlements tend to be located
near a spring or river, whose gushing represents birth (of ancestors
and new generations) and the birth canal.
        A few days ago, there was a discussion of a gliph with a hand
clutching water. I didn´t say anything then, but this may be a good
time. In many sacred ravines a hand is painted on the side of the
cliff. The side of a ravine is reminiscent of the outer wall of a
gourd, which in turn represents the outer wall of the container of the
primordial lake, Aztlán. The ravine wall is especially attractive to
the indigenous mind if it has cracks where water drips out. The hand
was painted on the wall of the ravine, because during certain
ceremonies, the indigenous people would knock on the rock, to summon
their ancestors forth in the form of the new generations.
        This information is taken from work done on Mesoamerican sacred
landscape  by María Elena Bernal García and Angel Julián García
Zambrano at the Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos.

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México