altepetl

zorrah at ATT.NET zorrah at ATT.NET
Sun May 29 00:36:39 UTC 2005

I enjoyed the sacred landscape meaning of “altepetl” that was provided by Dr. Sullivan.

I learned in my “History of English” class that Modern English has “self-explaining compounds,” or what the authors define as “compounds of two or more native words whose meaning in combination is either self-evident or has been rendered clear by association and usage.”  The book says Old English and modern German are full of self-explaining compounds.  The authors argue that it was a way to conserve the native vocabulary without having to borrow from other languages (lest we lose our culture so the saying goes).

I’m thinking that these “self-explaining compounds” in English are approximately “Tatpurusa” dvandva compounds.  Some examples are given in “History of English” such as “greenhouse, railway, sewing machine, one-way street, and coffee-table book.”

Anyway, now that I think I know what dvandra means, what is the relationship between a dvandra and assimilation in Nahuatl?  I still don’t get it even after looking at Citlayani’s examples now pasted below:

(1) Dvanda
a:tl (water) + tepe:tl (hill) = a:ltepe:tl
A town needs water for irrigation and a hill to keep out of floods.
Thus the components have equal status and the compound is a dvandva.
The basic meaning is "it is water (and) it is a hill", "it is water and
a hill", originally two words, and people gradually started letting
them run together into one; and the sequence -tlt- became -lt-.
(2) Dvanda.
na:huatl + tlahto:lli is also a dvandva: "it is something
clear-sounding (and) it is a language", became na:huallahto:lli ; the
sequence -tltl- became -ll-.
(3) Not a Dvandva.
a:tl + tla:lli (earth) = a:tla:lli 'irrigated land', as it is (a
sort of) land, but it is not (a sort of) water: it is an ordinary
compound, not a dvandva.

There still does not seem to be an explanation for identifying a dvanda in Nahuatl and for following a specified assimilation pattern as a result.  As students, are we even supposed to look for the distinction of a dvanda when we are practicing assimilation patterns?  Any thoughts would be welcomed.  tlazohkamati.

citlalin xochime

-------------- Original message from Davius Sanctex <davius_sanctex at TERRA.ES>: --------------