altepetl

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Sun May 29 16:53:08 UTC 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 5:24 AM, Rikke Marie Olsen wrote:

> I think altepetl is a fossilized form. We have already discussed
> (Chimalpahin) and largely agreed that there are exeptional forms,
> where monosyllable verbs keeps the absolutive suffix in composites and
> incorporations.
>
> I believe that the original form was atl-tepetl. Only if you try to
> pronounce it, it will sound more and more like al-tepetl the more you
> say it. In other words I see it as an assimilation of ‘tl’ in front of
> ‘t’ gives ‘lt’.

Widely across extant Nahuatl writing one finds alternation between the
difrasismo atl tepetl and the word altepetl with no discernable
difference in reference.  Whether one word or two, the reference is to
the concept of the Nahua corporate community and hardly to literal
water and hills.

The corresponding possessed forms (first person here by way of example)
are nauh tepeuh (two words) and naltepeuh (one word).  If the latter
were an unexceptional compound word, the absolutive and possessed forms
would be *atepetl, natepeuh respectively, which to my knowledge are
totally unattested. The "l" is always in there.

One could think of altepetl hovering in the interstice between
difrasismo (two words) and regular compound word (one word composed of
two stems, only the second of which carries suffixes), but on the other
hand, the complex morphology of Nahuatl treats altepetl as a unitary
word.  As Joe has said before, it's an exceptional case, one of those
things one learns as a unit instead of constructing by rule.  Every
language has such lexical items.

As to José's broader questions, I hope he isn't selling short us
contemporary linguists and what we do.  The thrust of our profession is
to discern by research across languages what categories are common to
human languages (even if not historically, "genetically" related) and
the dimensions on which variation can and does take place.  This, of
course, is not what 16th- and 17th-century grammarians were up to and
is not what modern prescriptivists do, but it IS what linguists do and
has been for well over a century.

Back in the 1970s Bill Bright provided his students at UCLA with notes
on Nahuatl that pointed out that the earliest grammars of Nahuatl best
represent the language on its own terms.  In the 18th and 19th
centuries, as later grammarians tried to impose their particular
theoretical molds on Nahuatl, their descriptions of the language grew
ever more off-the-mark and unusable. I hope that beginning early in the
20th century, and particularly gathering force since the 1970s, we have
gotten back to an understanding of Nahuatl on its own structural terms.