Chimalpahin

sfargo@earthlink.net sfargo at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun May 29 21:45:29 UTC 2005

Going back to the puzzling word, it's interesting that it seems
as though the glyph for going along a road or caminando,
the line of footprints, is easy to read for anyone. But it doesn't
say who went along the road or when.

European art can say "who" (as demonstrated by Apelles)
but it doesn't say "when" very well except by including
things like events and times of year.  (This turns into a
1560s detective story with a set of paintings by Bruegel,
since usually "how many paintings does it take to represent
a year" is not a puzzle.)  A Nahuatl document is somewhat
like a European picture except that it can include dates,
and show exactly when somebody was caminando.

In the United States the topic of roads is still a little
odd, with people saying now and then that Route 66
or whatever was an Indian trail, or with the Lewis and
Clark trail representing something in the history of
Lewis and Clark, or with the picture signs in southern
California warning drivers that people from Mexico
might try to run across the freeway with small children.

The footprints look like a verb but they don't seem to be
"grammatically sensitive to time." Maybe the examples
of translations should include translations of mapas?
Susan Gilchrist