tepi

John F. Schwaller schwallr at morris.umn.edu
Mon May 23 16:01:47 UTC 2005

At 10:53 AM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
>In
>any case, the name "Amapichtli" would also seem kind of strange in the
>sense that you can't really grasp water because it isn't solid. But
>there might be some interesting philosophical implications there.

We also do not see naked bottoms growing out of trees [Huexotzinco], but
the glyph is not uncommon.  Obviously the point I am making is that the
"tzinco" of naked bottom is just a glyph for "tzinco" frequently glossed as
new Tollan --> Tollantzinco

Similarly, if the glyph described does exist [hand grasping water], and it
is not one I recall, could the "water" part be standing in for something
else?  I am drawing a blank, but others might be able to see it.

John F. Schwaller
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean
315 Behmler Hall
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 E 4th Street
Morris, MN  56267