Chimalpahin

ANTHONY APPLEYARD a.appleyard at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun May 29 05:14:18 UTC 2005

--- José Rabasa <jrabasa at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:
> ... Would the experience of chiltic be similar to that of anaranjado
> in Spanish which would translate into English as "it became like an
> orange" (and if we take the suffix "-ado" to imply "the presence of",
> we could render it as "with the presence of orange-likeness", ...

The Spanish suffix [-ado] is from Latin [-atus]. [naranjado] is more
like "oranged". Similarly, English "pink" for the color, came from the
flower called a pink, which came from the "pinked" shape of the edges
of its petals (compare the usage of "pinking" in dressmaking.)
Similarly with English "violet" from the flower called a violet.
Similatly with English "magenta", which was originally the name of a
chemical dye, which was named after a place in north Italy where
Napoleon III won a battle.

 or something in that line)? As

=== message truncated ===