For Mesoamericanists in their leisure hours

Paul Anderson indus56 at TELUSPLANET.NET
Tue Sep 13 18:04:51 UTC 2005

Dear listeros,
My apologies for any cross-postings. I wanted to let you know of the
release of the novel Hunger's Brides this week in the U.S. and U.K.
in hardcover, and in paperback in Canada.

Based on the life of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz in 17th-century
Mexico, the book's early chapters give special emphasis to the
influences of the prehispanic world and Nahua culture during her
childhood years in Nepantla and  Amecameca. I am far from the first
to note such influences in her work, of course, but I think it's fair
to say that the breadth of interest Hunger's Brides takes in these
issues represents a departure from the established portrait of Sor
Juana in her time and place.

It fascinated me to consider elements of her story, particularly her
withdrawal from the world and mortification at the hands of her
persecutors, in the context of the great mythic narratives of the
Valley of Mexico -- Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, and Topiltzin, to
name a few. I drew also upon many of the images we have of feminine
figures in Aztec mythology and was particularly intrigued by Susan
Gillespie's then unpublished doctoral work on the Aztec "women of
desiny". As well, the book takes up various legends and mythically-
resonant historical events: the uprisings led by Martin Ocelotl and
Andres Mixcoatl offer one example.

I had also wanted present a somewhat complex moral view of the Aztec
world -- to acknowledge both the darkness and the cultural glories,
but also the humanity of daily life. The riddles and proverbs
translated by Thelma Sullivan in the superb _A Scattering of Jades_
allowed me to offer readers glimpses into some of the whimsy and
metaphorical richness of popular speech, as another window on the
Nahua world.

For anyone interested, an excerpt showing Sullivan's work put to the
service of this end can be found here:
http://www.hungersbrides.com/novel_abecedario.html

I'll stop here. It's a pleasure to be able to offer you my thanks and
to acknowledge the collegial spirit so often in evidence on this list.

Best wishes,
Paul Anderson

A few links, for you, or for any of your students who might be
interested.

a sampling of excerpts pertaining to the Conquest
http://www.hungersbrides.com/mezo_conquest.html

interactive discussion guides for reading groups, broken into three
roles: reader, moderator, author
http://www.hungersbrides.com/BookClubsCentral.html

slide-shows of images taken from Sor Juana's former convent in Mexico
City and her newly restored childhood home near Amecameca
http://www.hungersbrides.com/gallery.html

a multimedia introduction to the novel (click on "A baroque century
ends")
http://www.hungersbrides.com/player_320.html

a digital-video interview with Las voces de Sor Juana, a group of
young music students of the CNA discussing Sor Juana and her
significance for them today
http://www.hungersbrides.com/player_audio_vsj.html

At the moment our Spanish language page is in disarray -- apologies
to the hispanohablantes -- but there is a page for the german edition
at: http://www.hungersbrides.com/storeroom_deutsch.html

Paul Anderson, Hunger's Brides.
http://www.hungersbrides.com
Based on the life of Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz in 17th-century Mexico.
Published by: Random House (Canada), Carroll & Graf (US), Rubikon
(Serbia), Constable & Robinson (UK), Pendo Verlag (Germany).