Zempaz úchitl

Maria Bolivar MBOLIVAR at SAN.RR.COM
Tue Sep 27 21:16:15 UTC 2005

Here is the Picture I found in Internet. It is only a thumbnail since it
is an agency. But you can see what I mean about the colors.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cuartoscuro.com/agenci
a/data/thumbnails/68/1101Flor.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cuartoscuro.com/a
gencia/categories.php%3Fcat_id%3D68%26sessionid%3Df56ea42f93c984240a1719
e52997f948%26page%3D92&h=158&w=225&sz=11&tbnid=HCSnNoaWOfcJ:&tbnh=71&tbn
w=102&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflor%2Bde%2Bzempaz%25C3%25BAchil%
26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN
María

"We don´t see things as they are,
We see things as we are."
Anais Nin

Dr. María Dolores Bolívar
MBOLIVAR at san.rr.com

http://geografiaserrantes.com/laruda/
http://geografiaserrantes.com/imaginomios/

 www.culturadoor.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Nahua language and culture discussion
[mailto:NAHUAT-L at lists.umn.edu] On Behalf Of Corrinne Burns
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:15 AM
To: NAHUAT-L at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: Zempazúchitl

I don't know anything about Haiti, but I may be able
to answer another of your questions. There were no
Tagetes species in Europe before the Conquest; the
genus is native to Mexico. The flowers of the European
Calendula genus were thought to be flowers of the
Virgin Mary (the name marigold derives from "Mary's
Gold"), and it is assumed that Tagetes came to be
called marigolds because Europeans mistook Tagetes
growing in Mexico for Calendula, at least on first
sight.

I think the use of Tagetes on the Day of the Dead
comes from Xochiquetzal; she was the guardian of
graves and she was honoured with cempoalxochitl. But
there are many more instances of Tagetes uses
pre-Spanish festivals, which Joe has covered with his
email of references to Tagetes in the Florentine
Codex.

Going back to Maria's email: the reference to "flowers
of gold" reminds me of a bit of Aztec folklore. The
flowers of Tagetes patula are typically orangy-yellow
with red splashed in the edges. After the conquest,
these flowers were considered to represent the looted
gold of Mexico, covered with the blood of the injured
Mexica people.

Finally there are references to Tagetes in the
manuscript of Hernandez, the Rerum Medicarum Novae
Hispaniae Thesaurus. The scanned pages are on the
attachment to this email.

Corrinne