Mexica Movement

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Sat Apr 15 18:58:39 UTC 2006

/..."What your paper fails to realize in this is that the modern Mexican mestizo identity is
in fact a construction intended to counter European racism and discrimination.
While certainly it does not leave much room for individuals of entirely
indigenous descent it does acknowledge the cultural inheritance of indigenous
groups and has helped to improve their position within the Mexican nation and
consciousness. As anyother identity it is mutable an will change..."/

Mestizo identity should be seen as  a broad continuum.  From genetically
pure white European to Pure African, and indigenous bloods, what matters
most is the CULTURAL life of the individual.  I have seen Lacandon
people with Afros at the bus stop in Palenque, ruddy complected
Huicholes selling arts in Zacatecas, and
dark skinned men passing out anti-immigrant leaflets at the local
shopping mall.

The Spanish "castas" system is alive and well in some quarters.  Some
idigenistas want to apply a BIA blood quantum to Chicano identity.
Others want to subsume Chicano identity into the greater "Latino"
pantheon.  Either choice is an ignorant approach. The reality of the
21st century is that there are no indigenous peoples left in the world
who are completely and totally free of outside contact.  And try and
pray as we might,  indigenous cultures like all cultures are dynamic,
ever-changing and not set in stone.  They were not before 1492, and will
be even less so in the 21st century.

Those of us who are untested in helping indigenous people throughout the
world maintain their culture, most do so not from a curator's point of
view.  Nor from a
political strategist's.  We must do so because we value the  deep
historical, linguistic, and spiritual  offerings that all indigenous
cultures bring to our global  feasting table.

To lose these ancient and venerable traditions, would be a great loss.
But to petrify them and demand that all  indigenous people submit to a
"Hollywood"  or "noble savage" version of what it means to be indigenous
would also be a crime.

What it means to be Chicano/Mexicano/indigenous in the U.S. will also
change as the influence of Euro/Afro/Asian American culture interacts
with our Chicano/Mexicano/indigenous traditions.  My children who were
born into the Chicano indigenous world view ( as opposed to me walking
into it at the age of 19 in 1974) are deeply proud of their culture,
participate in our Azteca dance ritual calendar.... and enjoy pesto,
Phó, hummus, kung pao chicken, Thai food, and hamburgers...... as well
as their chilaquiles, tamales, pozole, chile nuevo Mexico, and guajolote
on Thanksgiving.....

if we are what we eat.... most of us are mestizo....

mario