tlachtli and ullamaliztli...

Ian Mursell Ian.Mursell at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 30 14:24:39 UTC 2006

Dear Listeros,

Please could I seek your help?  I¹m expanding and updating a page on our
educational website about the Mesoamerican ballgame.  I¹ve got as far as I
can without knowing Náhuatl and am keen to clarify the precise
meanings/derivations of the words -

Tlachtli
Tlachco
Ullamaliztli

Forgive me if this topic has come up before.  I¹d just like very much to
sort out what the Aztecs would have called a) the game, b) the court and if
possible c) the ball!

Our ballgame page is at -

http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/index.php?one=azt&two=fac&id=215

Many thanks, as ever, and saludos,

Ian

Ian Mursell
Director
Mexicolore
28 Warriner Gardens
London SW11 4EB, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7622 9577
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7498 3643
www.mexicolore.co.uk
Ian.Mursell at btinternet.com
info at mexicolore.co.uk

1980-2005: 25 years of bringing Mexico and the Aztecs to life in schools and
museums throughout England.  Team visits, online teaching resources and
services, live interactive videoconferencing sessions, and much more - all
from Mexicolore, the 'highly successful teaching team' (British Museum
Education Service)