Tula vs. Teotihuacan

huehueteot at aol.com huehueteot at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 23:30:35 UTC 2006

 Hi All:

 I always heard Teotihuacan translated as the place where the gods were made. Which sounds pretty much just as Michael has translated it. Tula was always presented as an hispanization of Tollan or place of reeds or place of a bundle of reeds. Which was the term for "The" administrative center. The term became wide spread and was rendered in many different toponyms, Tula, Tulantzingo...cingo etc. It was never clear to me what the concept was except that to be a legitimate ruler in the time of the Toltecs it was neccessary to have your reign "approved" at Tollan. I once saw an argument that much of what the Aztecs were doing with their conquests was to gather together enough of the centers of power in the Mesoamerican world to make themselves the next "Tollan".

 Cheers,
    Hugh G. "Sam" Ball

 And remember:

 "This too Shall Pass!