About the word "teotl" and Ometeotl

Ramiro Medrano Ramiro_Medrano at csumb.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:00:46 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have read how many scholars believe the word "teotl" translates to "god," but I am not sure from where they take this belief. Maybe from the Spanish friars who were translating codices and such?

I have heard other scholars mention that teotl translates to either "cosmic energy" (no to be confused with "tonalli," which has more of a direct connection to "sun" or "day" energy) or "divine energy." But, if, for example, both "Ometeotl" and
"Tezcatlipoca" are "gods," why don't they both have the -teotl suffix?

It is well known that "Ometeotl" was *the* creator of the Mexica. I am confused how there can be other "gods" if everything else was a representation of Ometeotl. In other words, Ometeotl encompassed every existing thing in this universe, right?
Maybe someone can clarify.

Thanks,
Ramiro