two fun things

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Mon Dec 4 17:29:59 UTC 2006

Listeros,
We came across two fun things in today's morning session.
1. the first construction is controversial, because two girls from
one town said its good, but right now, another is saying that it
isn't. Normally the preterite agentive suffix "-yoh" (covered with
something) is used with its imbed as a noun, although we know that it
is actually an ancient verb in the preterite. Well, today we came
across an instance where the verbal quality of the construction is
put to use. "chilloh" means "adobado" or "covered with chilli". Its
parts are "chil-li" + "-yoh". But in the Huasteca you can also say
(here is the controversial part): "chillohtoc", "ha sido adobado" or
"está adobado". The breakdown is "chilloh" + "-ti" + "o" + "c
(preterite)". We know that "ti ligature" auxiliary verb formations
can only be stuck on a preterite stem. So it seems that at least for
some native speakers, the "-yoh" still has some its verbal qualities
(in addition to the fact that its plural is "-yohqueh"). I may have
to recant later...
2. For me at least, it's always been a problem trying to explain why
on the one hand,  the "-can" locative suffix is stuck on preterite
verb formations (with the "-ca" actually being the older preterite
ending), and on the other hand, it can be stuck on a regular noun (in
which case, the "-ca-" isn't part of a verbal formation). Well, I'm
not any closer to being able to expain this, but I do have some new
data to add to the mess. In older Nahuatl you would say, "oncan" or
"occan" for "in two places", and "excan" for "in three places". In
the Huasteca they say "oncac" and "excac". So here we have the
locative "-c" added to a number by means of a "ligature" which
usually takes the locative "-n".
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México