Fwd(2): Re: About the word "teotl" and Ometeotl

Craig Berry cberry at cine.net
Wed Dec 6 02:06:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Ramiro Medrano wrote:

> Does "teotl" translate to "inexplicable," "powerful," "untouchable," or
> maybe even "divine"? It makes sense to me.

My attempt at a single-word translation is "supernatural", in both the
senses of that word.  A horse is a "supernatural deer" in the sense that
it is shaped like a deer, but is bigger and stronger than a deer, and
behaves very differently from a deer.  Thus it is "outside nature".  A god
is "supernatural" in a different (but ultimately related) sense.

So for example "Ometeotl" is "supernatural duality", the concept of "two"
expressed outside all normal experience and natural limits.

--
   )   Craig Berry - http://www.cine.net/~cberry/
  =+=   "You do not secure the liberty of our country and value of our