-toc

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Tue Dec 5 23:15:35 UTC 2006

Listeros,
	I have a question regarding one of the many problems I am
encountering while trying to do a dictionary. In modern Huastecan
Nahuatl, auxiliary verb constructions in "-toc" can have two
different but related meanings, depending on the main verb. The first
meaning is the present perfect (antepresente). So, for example, from
"ninehnemi", "I walk", we go to "ninehnentoc", "I have walked".
Pretty much all verbs can work like this. However, some verbs, while
taking this meaning with the "-toc", can have another meaning: the
state resulting from having completed that action. So, for example,
from the reflexive verb "cehuia, nimo", we have "nimocehuia", "I sit
down". With the "-toc" construction it will have two meanings: first,
the present perfect, "nimocehuihtoc", I have sat down"; second, the
resulting state, "I am seated". There are many, many examples. Here
is one more: "tlamixtemi", "it gets cloudy", "tlamixtentoc", 1. "it
has gotten cloudy"; 2. "it is cloudy". The first example,
"ninehnentoc", like most verbs in Nahuatl will not take this second
meaning. You wouldn't say, "I am walked".
	Now this makes sense. The class 1 verb "o", "to lay down", which
forms the auxiliary construction "-toc" is a preterite-as-present
verb. But isn't this perhaps what preterite-as-present verbs are all
about? What does it mean when you say that a completed action refers
to the present. Well, the logical answer that pops into my head is
that who or whatever did that action kind of remains for a while in
the state in which they were left after completing the action. And
that "remaining for a while" shifts things into the present. Perhaps
we should stop translating the "-toc" construction from classical
Nahuatl as "someone lies doing something". It seems to me that
"laying down" after doing something is a pretty good metaphor for
refering to the state achieved after completing the action.
	Also I imagine that we could talk for a while about the many ways
the Nahua mind uses the preterite tense.
	Now, getting closer to my question. The use of "-toc" to throw any
verb into the present perfect tense is something that should be
treated in a grammar book , in the chapter on auxiliary verb
constructions formed with the connective "-ti-". But the fact that
some verbs go into a "resultant state" mode by means of this
construction, perhaps merits mention in the dictionary. My question
is, should this mention be made under the entry for the main verb,
or, is this "resultant state" a big enough shift of meaning to
warrant a separate dictionary entry? At one point I was asking myself
if perhaps the "-toc" construction is making the transition to
"nounness", in other words, is "nimocehuihtoc", "I am seated", on the
verge of meaning "I am a seated thing"? But then I realized that you
can change tenses. For example, "nimocehuihtoz": 1. "I will have sat
down", 2. "I will be seated". The other problem with option 2 is,
what kind of word is this? If it's not a noun, that it's nothing more
than a special use of a verb tense.
	Ok, so why am I still considering option 1? The native speakers feel
that this meaning shift is a pretty big deal.
	Any suggestions?
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México