Fwd(2): Re: About the word "teotl" and Ometeotl

Craig Berry cberry at cine.net
Wed Dec 6 17:37:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Michael Swanton wrote:

> Does the distinction between natural and “supernatural” have a place in
> indigenous religion(s) of Mesoamerica? That is, were divine powers
> understood to be beyond the natural world or part of it?

This is obviously getting into murky semantics, but I think it's clear
that mesoamerican religions, like essentially all human religions,
recognized a category of forces or entities which were outside or beyond
the normal, everyday experience of nature.  Even if (as is commonly the
case) these forces were understood as the roots or sources of the visible
natural world, they in themselves were not directly experienced (other
than in ecstatic states, however those might be achieved).

--
   )   Craig Berry - http://www.cine.net/~cberry/
     (   democracy by undermining them.  That's the road to hell."