Fwd(2): Re: About the word "teotl" and Ometeotl

Craig Berry cberry at cine.net
Wed Dec 6 19:25:03 UTC 2006

> On 12/6/06, Kay Read <kay.a.read at gmail.com> wrote:
> > See what I just sent, but actually I think these forces cannot exist
> > without the natural things of the normal world.  They have no "house"
> > in which to live otherwise; and therefore, they are directly
> > experienced both within one's own body and the corporeal, material
> > bodies of  other natural things.  See:  Lopez Austin's Human Body
> > (1988) for a great deal more on this topic.

But they are still distinct from the natural forms in which they have
existence; otherwise there would be no separate concepts of "maize" and
"Cinteotl" (just for example).  So, to turn the question around, what
distinguishes the various divine powers (named by the 'teotl' concept in
many cases) from the natural objects and processes with which they are
associated?

--
   )   Craig Berry - http://www.cine.net/~cberry/
  =+=   "You do not secure the liberty of our country and value of our