tlatquihua[h]toc

Campbell, R Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu Dec 7 05:35:06 UTC 2006

Henry,

   1) I was careless.  I have the word in my database, still without
      a gloss, and I looked at the sentence translation in Dibble and
      Anderson's edition of Book 6.

   2) I think the semantic content of -toc in "older" Nahuatl was probably
      that of "progressive" aspect, probably *leaning* on the literal meaning
      of {o}, somewhat the way Mexican Spanish uses "andar".  "Anda
entristecido" carries not only the notion of a continuative state,
      but also that of motion.  -toc and -mani are used similarly
      (I think)to convey the idea of ongoingness by hinting at the
      literal meaning without claiming it.

   I put the piece of text in question at the bottom of this message;
"tlatquihuatoc" is in #10956.

Iztayohmeh,

Joe

> I'm puzzled by
>
>      tlatquihua[h]toc              those who have property
>          -t[i]oc only compounds with the preterit form of verbs;
>
> 1) Why is it translated as plural?
> 2) What is the semantic difference between /tlatquihuah/ and
> /tlatquihuahtoc/ ?
> Maybe the latter has an inceptive or graduative value in the sense of
> "being in the course of becoming an owner of property"...?

     10948.  nopiltze xontlachia in monextitlan, in motlecuillan,
       "o my son, look in thy ashes, in thy hearth."

     10949.  cococ, teopouhqui quiquiztoc, timalihui in icnotlacayotl,
          in nentlacayotl: cococ, teopouhqui macho, timalihui
          in cuitlaxcolpitzactli,
       [all is] permeated by pain, by affliction; misery, inhumanity
          dominate; pain, affliction are known; starvation dominateth.

     10950.  atontonamiqui in toquezpan in toquechtlan ompilcac:
       we are in want as to that which hangeth from our hips,
          from our necks.

     10951.  nelli mach in ticmamalacachoa, in ompa huallauh
          ehecatl, ompa ticmana.
       in truth we turn it around and around: from whence cometh
          the wind, there we place it.

     10952.  auh tla xitechitta
       and look at us!

     10953.  tizacuahuatinemi, tomizauhtinemi in ipaltzinco toteucyo
          tloque, nahuaque:
       by the grace of our lord, the lord of the near, of the
          nigh, we go dying of hunger and thirst; we go like
          skeletons.

     10954.  auh in huecapa in moteiccahuan, in mohueltihuan
          xiquimonitta,
       and look at thy male cousins, thy female cousins.

          Florentine Codex        [p. 912]

     10955.  cuix onoac, cuix yeloac, cuix ixtonatoque in ipaltzinco
          tloque, nahuaque
       do they perhaps reside, do they perhaps exist, do they
          enjoy abundance by the grace of the lord of the near,
          of the nigh?

     10956.  cuix tlatquihuatoc, cuix netimalolotoc:
       do they perhaps remain possessors of property? do they
          perhaps remain glorified?

     10957.  ahtiquimitta inic monemitia,
       canst thou not see how they live?

     10958.  ca timalihui in tlalticpac, ca ihiyohuilo, ca tlaciahua:
       for it spreadeth on earth; for there is drudgery; all
          are fatigued.

     10959.  quenin xihualmotzonteconacocui o, quenin xaquetza o,
       with that, how canst thou be proud, arrogant?

     10960.  amo za tlahuanayotl caci, amo tequi xolopicayotl o,
       that would be but virtual drunkenness, extreme foolishness.

     10961.  in iuhcan tiyol i, in iuhcan titlacat, i,
       this is how thou camest forth; this is how thou wert born.

     10962.  auh in iuhcan mocalitic i, auh in iuhque in, moncahuan,
          mehcahuan,
       and this is how it is in thy house, and so are these of
          thy household, thy residents.

     10963.  intla quecin ximochihua:
       if thou wouldst in some manner suffer!

     10964.  auh quen ahtitoloz, quen ahtimopiloz,
       and wilt thou not so bow thy head, wilt thou not so hang
          thy head?

     10965.  in iuhcan timoyoliti i.
       for in such a time as this wert thou born.