tlatquihua[h]toc

Henry Kammler h.kammler at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Dec 7 11:31:16 UTC 2006

Joe,

thank you for clarification and the context of the example. I was
wondering whether a referent classified as "inanimate" could be a
/tlatquihuah/ at all, and in that case both singular and plural would
be OK of course.  But then, plural marking in general seems not to be
obligatory even with "animate" referents, as your text fragment shows.

Yes, the progessive/continuative meaning of /-tok/ is the prevalent one
in modern Central Guerrero nahuatl, too. By graduative (which in some
North American languages is morphologically marked) I meant a sense of
"slowly growing into a certain state". So taking up the helpful
"andar"-analogy, /tlatquihuahtoc/ = (?)"anda enriqueciendose" or
(?)"anda con riquezas" or "se queda con riquezas"... Dibble and
Anderson chose the last option. Probably then this is not a commonplace
construction but due to poetic style, giving a nice sequence of
/-toc/-forms.

Tlahzocamati hueyi
Henry