sad news

Amapohuani at aol.com Amapohuani at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 16:37:34 UTC 2006

Estimados Listeros:

Some years ago I did a joint article with Eileen Mulhare for ESTUDIOS DE
CULTURA NAHUATL on rosary references in fray Pedro de Gante's 1553 DOCTRINA
CHRISTIANA. Eileen's husband was going to be in Chicago in early January 2007 for a
scholarly conference. Hence she contacted me and we made plans to meet at
Amarit, a Thai restaurant near the Newberry Library in Chicago, IL, USA. I am
currently in Chicago, working on some wonderful Carochi material, courtesy of a
longterm NEH fellowship.

We were both looking forward to actually seeing each other in person after
corresponding for years. Her interset in early Nahuas and Nahuatl had deepened
over the years and she looked forward to talking to me about her latest
projects. I was going to bring up a tentative proposal for her to work with me and
someone else on some more Gante material. Afterwards I was going to show her
around the Newberry's Aztec Exhibit.

Then yesterday I got an urgent message from her husband. I called him right
away and then shortly thereafter received the email I include at the end of
this email via copy-and-paste.

The email speaks for itself. I end with a call for anyone who knew Eileen to
contact Michael. She will be missed.

Ye ixquich.
Barry D. Sell

****EMAILFROMMICHAELHAINESFOLLOWS****

    I regret to convey the tragic news that my wife and your colleague Eileen
Mulhare died on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at the Johns Hopkins Medical
Center in Baltimore, MD.  We had been visiting relatives when she was suddenly
stricken with a heart attack on Thursday, December 21, followed by a massive
stroke.  It was combination of the two that eventually resulted in her death.  She
was only 53.  It was possible for her to donate her kidneys and some tissues
to help others.  I miss her a great deal.  We were companions for more than 25
years.

     As it says in Proverbs chapter 31: “When one finds a worthy wife, her
value is far beyond pearls.  Her husband, entrusting his heart to her, has an
unfailing prize. She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. … ‘
Many are the women of proven worth, but you have excelled them all.’ … the
woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.’

 Michael Haines

 Dr. Michael R. Haines, Ph.D.
 Department of Economics
 Colgate University