two fun things

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:28:34 UTC 2006

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 00:37:10 -0500 (EST)
From: R. Joe Campbell <campbel at indiana.edu>
To: John Sullivan <idiez at MAC.COM>,
     Nahua language and culture discussion <nahuatl at lists.famsi.org>
Subject: Re: [Nahuat-l] two fun things

Please pardon the repetition if it happens -- my server indicated that
my first attempt at sending it fizzled...  >8-(

John,

    I doubt that you'll need to recant on this one.  The pieces of
evidence for verbal origin of -yo(h)/(tl), -eh, and -huah are
sprinkled around in
"older" Nahuatl too.  I was just e-conversing with another friend
about this topic, maybe e-grousing just a little bit that although
Andrews points out their verbal nature, there is no evidence given
about why one
would believe it, evidence of the sort that all linguists-in-training
in the twentieth century were brow-beaten into including in their
solutions to problems.

    Some examples of -yo:

      copalloque (FC)       lords of copal

      iyauhyoque (FC)       lords of incense

         /y/ is evidenced by the doubling of the /l/;
         -que originates as a preterit plural suffix

      cuauhtenanyotoc (FC)  wooden barriers are standing
         cuauhtenamitl is embedded in -yo
         as in your example, -t[i]oc only compounds with the preterit
           form of verbs;

      Some examples of -eh:

      matemeque[h]que (FC)          those who wear armbands
        (note: te[tl]-mecatl)
        (matemecatl appears both in Molina and FC as "bracelet")
      chalchiuhmacuexe[h]que (FC)   those who have green stone bracelets
         -que originates as a preterit plural suffix

      chane[h]caconetl              child born within the household
         the -ca nominalizer forms a unit that compounds (N-N) with conetl

      tocaye[h]toc (FC)             it remains having a name
          -t[i]oc only compounds with the preterit form of verbs;

      macoche[h]tica (FC)           embracing
          -ti-ca (be) only compounds with the preterit form verbs

      Some examples of -huah:

      cotzehuahua[h]que (FC)        those who have leather bands on their
                                    calves
         (note compound of cotztli-ehuatl)
         -que originates as a preterit plural suffix

      tlatquihua[h]toc              those who have property
          -t[i]oc only compounds with the preterit form of verbs;

Iztayohmeh,

Joe