Contraction?

Doug Barr lingoman at mac.com
Fri Dec 15 07:24:07 UTC 2006

I've been going through *Rules of the Aztec Language* and referring
to the wonderful website http://sites.estvideo.net/malinal/ - since
the book doesn't translate any of its words, just gives the forms -
and I found this example sentence "Tla: quimocaquitin tla:catl,"
translated as "Que le seigneur daigne nous entendre," "May the lord
deign to hear us."

My main question is, does this represent "Tla: quimocaquiti in
tla:catl," with the optative, and the determinative "in" shorn of its
vowel and added to "quimocaquiti"? I'm also curious about the
translation given as "hear *us*," vs. the Na:huatl singular object
prefix and singular noun "tla:catl." Is this a Na:huatl stylistic thing?

Tlazohcamati...