Um, how many object prefix slots, again?

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Dec 15 14:54:44 UTC 2006

Doug,
	Actually, in Classical Nahuatl there are four object prefix slots:
specific, reflexive, non-specific human, and non-specific non-human.
Normally, only one specific object can be represented by a prefix,
even if there are multiple specific objects in a sentence. The
exception to this is when one of the multiple specific objects is
third person plural. In this case, two specific object prefixes can
appear in the verb. The third person one, which would appear by
itself as "quim", appears in this case as "im". This is what you are
seeing in your example, "xinechintlacualtili in nochcahuan", "Feed my
sheep for me". The verb is "tlacualtia, nic," and it can be broken
down as "tlacual(li)", "food", + "-tia", "to provide s.t. to s.o" =
"to feed s.o." or in this case the sheep. This verb, "tlacualtia" is
then given an applicative suffix, which adds an object, giving,
"tlacualtilia, nic," "to feed s.o. for s.o.". You now have two
specific objects, the sheep and me. Normally, in this case only "me",
being the most animate of the two objects, would appear as a prefix,
but since the other specific object is third person plural it appears
as the "in".
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México