Cuaxochtli

Yukitaka Inoue Okubo takaio at PO.AIANET.NE.JP
Mon Feb 20 11:03:52 UTC 2006

Thank you for many suggestions.
I'd like to have just one question for John.
"Axochtli" (for ditch) in Northern Veracruz is related to flower planting?
For example, there are many flower field, or sometimes they plant flowers
around their houses?
It seems interesting to think if "xochtli" (of "axochtli") just refer to the
boundary without relating to flowers, or if it has something to do with
"flower".

Yukitaka
takaio at po.aianet.ne.jp

----- Original Message -----
From: <idiez at MAC.COM>
To: <NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: Cuaxochtli

I asked my students today if they have heard of
cua/cuauh-xochitl/xochtli/xochihtli. First they said "cuauhxochitl",
"flor de árbol", but then someone came up with the word "axochtli". It
contains the -xochtli portion given at the beginning of this
discussion, which allows us to depart from "flower".  Anyway in
Northern Veracruz "axochtli" is a canal where water flows: it can
either be an irrigation ditch in a field, or the drainage ditch (only
about 4 or 5 inches wide and maybe 2 inches deep) which runs along the
side of a house. Now for speculation: both presumably run along the
side of something (a field or a house) and thus might refer to a
boundary. Now, how does "cuahuitl" fit into this?
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México