Cuaxochtli

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Feb 20 12:35:29 UTC 2006

Quoting Yukitaka Inoue Okubo <takaio at PO.AIANET.NE.JP>:

> Michael,
>
> I agree with you in many points.
> I started with "cuaxochtli", form which appears in Molina, but the colonial
> documents I've been reading has many variations. Just some examples:
> quaxochitl, quaxochitli, quacxotli, quachxotli, quacxochi
> These documents generally have many orthografic problems.

This is true. But please note again that none of these has a "u", in reference
to the unusual *cuauhxoch- suggestion.

There is a tremendous amount of variation in the items that you note above.
The ones with "c" and "ch" are certainly curious.