another class four verb

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Mon Feb 20 16:34:20 UTC 2006

A while ago someone asked about additions to the list of class four
verbs. Well, here is another one.
In the Huasteca, "to spit (both intransitive and transitive)" is
"chahcha". In Molina, "chihcha" is a
class 1 verb, "chihchac".  In the Huasteca, it is class 4:
"nichahchahqui", "I spat", "tichahchahqueh",
"We spat", "nichahchahtoc", "I have spit". There is a less common
alternate preterite form which is
only used in the singular, "chahchac". This is class one, but none of
the plural forms, or forms
derived from the preterite stem (ti- compounds) are built on it.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México