Tepotzoa

Caroline Dodds ced44 at CAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 24 10:02:39 UTC 2006

John,

Thanks so much for the helpful clarification and information. If you'll
forgive me a rather simple question - if this is the preterite form, might
one translate tepotzoa as he/she/it 'had a back' or 'was covered with a
back' (rather than 'HAS a back')?

Best wishes and thanks again,
Caroline
-----
Dr. Caroline Dodds
Junior Research Fellow
Sidney Sussex College
Cambridge
CB2 3HU

Tel: 01223 (3)30867
ced44 at cam.ac.uk

----- Original Message -----
From: <idiez at MAC.COM>
To: <NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: Tepotzoa

Caroline,
There are three possessor suffixes, -eh, -huah, and -yoh, which are
attached to nouns and mean, "owner of" that noun. The last suffix,
-yoh, extends the idea of owner to "to be covered with" the noun. All
three suffixes are actually the singular preterite form of ancient
verbs, and for that reason, the compound constructions, such as
tepotzhuah, owner of a back", can be considered preterite agentive
nouns. The plural forms of each suffix, -ehqueh, -huahqueh, and
-yohqueh, owners of...., are actually the plural preterite forms of the
ancient verbs.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México