Cuaxochtli

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Mon Feb 20 19:27:32 UTC 2006

Here's another possibility. In the Huasteca "xotla" is "to bang into
something", and "xoxotla" is "to stamp on something with your foot". If
it's "cuauhxochtli", it could refer to the poles "stamped" into the
ground, that Fran mentioned.
John

On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Amapohuani at AOL.COM wrote:

> Listeros:
>
>  I second the "Wow."
>
>  Ye ixquich.
>  Barry
>
>  In a message dated 2/20/06 10:01:40 AM, mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU writes:
>

>> Wow!
>>

>>  Quoting "R. Joe Campbell" <campbel at indiana.edu>:
>>
>>  > Yukitaka,
>>  >
>>  >      Prodded by questions and remarks from my wife (Mary Clayton),
>>  > I recalled a verb that may be the key to answering part of your
>>  > cuaxochtli problem.
>>  >
>>  >      "xotla" is 'to cut', usually slicing or into strips.
>> "nitlalxotla"
>>  > is 'amojonar o alindar terminos o eredades' (according to Molina).
>>  > In Book 5, p. 169 of the Dibble and Anderson edition of the
>> Florentine
>>  > Codex, "quitlalxochilia" (with the /tl/ palatalized to 'ch')
>> occurs,
>>  > meaning 'he makes marks on the ground'.
>>  >
>>  >      "xoch(tli) is apparently a patientive noun form derived from
>> "xotla".
>>  >
>>  > This palatalization of /tl/ is also seen in "xapochtic", derived
>> from
>>  > "xapo(tl)-tla", the "-tla" being a transitive verb formative.
>>  >      Molina gives:
>>  >
>>  >      nitlaxapotla   abrir o horadar pared; agujerear; horadar o
>> romper
>>  >                     pared, seto o cosa semejante
>>  >      nitexapotla    corromper virgen; desflorar; desuirgar
>>  >
>>  >      The patientive noun "tlaxapochtli" is a hole and you even get
>>  > "ninotlaxopochhuia" 'caer en hoyo. o abarrancarse'.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >      So "cuaxochtli" is apparently (I withhold the word
>> 'obviously')
>>  > a slice or division, modified by a "cua-" element.  ...and we are
>> left
>>  > to wonder "where have all the flowers gone?"
>>  >
>>  > Saludos,
>>  >
>>  > Joe
>>  >

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México