Nahuatl scholarship

b.leeming at rivers.org b.leeming at rivers.org
Mon Jul 10 13:34:53 UTC 2006

Listeros-

I have lately been reading Lockhart's "Nahuas and Spaniards."   From what I know of
his work it seems that one of his major contributions has been the translation and
analysis of some of the large corpus of Nahuatl-language documents that survives from
the 16th to the 18th centuries.  As a result, we have gained a much clearer picture
of the Nahua perspective of Contact and life in Colonial Mexico.   In  "Nahuas and
Spaniards" Lockhart gives the impression that the task of translating and analyzing
the more mundane Nahuatl documents such as titles, testaments, annals, etc. that he
uses as his source material (as opposed to the better-known codices) is a relatively
recent undertaking.

However,  "Nahuas and Spaniards" was published in 1991 and "The Nahuas After the
Conquest" in 1992.  So my question is, What is the current state of scholarship on
this corpus of documents?  Who has carried on the work so ably conducted by Lockhart
in the 90s?  As a soon-to-be doctoral student who is hoping to focus his research on
Nahuatl documents such as these, I am interested in determining what are the
persistent problems, questions and unexplored avenues that remain.  Or, put another
way, where would you advise a would-be scholar who wants to work with Nahuatl source
material turn his attention?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ben Leeming