Nahuatl scholarship

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:53:19 UTC 2006

At 09:34 AM 7/10/2006, you wrote:
>Who has carried on the work so ably conducted by Lockhart
>in the 90s?  As a soon-to-be doctoral student who is hoping to focus
>his research on
>Nahuatl documents such as these, I am interested in determining what are the
>persistent problems, questions and unexplored avenues that
>remain.  Or, put another
>way, where would you advise a would-be scholar who wants to work
>with Nahuatl source
>material turn his attention?

Great questions.  There are many of us who work with the documents
and with some of the more traditional works as well.  Louise Burkhart
and Barry Sell are working extensively with theatrical works written
in Nahuatl.  Both Bob Haskett and Stephanie Wood are active  in the
area also.  Haskett has dealt with a wide range of materials for the
Cuernavaca region and is looking at the legends of the child-martyrs
of Tlaxcala.  Wood has recently focused on titulos primordiales.  You
might want to contact the Academy of American Franciscan History
(www.aafh.org) for a copy of my book on Nahuatl manuscripts held in
US repositories to get a feel for what types of materials are
available here in the US, since they tend to reflect what you will
find in Mexico as well.  You might also look at the collection of
essays on Sahagun also published by the Academy, which although they
deal with more famous Nahuatl documentation, break new ground in how
those materials are used.  A recent issue of The Americas dealt with
works in translation and the pit falls encountered in their
interpretation.  I have organized a panel for the International
Congress of Americanists on issues of transculturation and
translation many of which will also draw upon Nahuatl documentation.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of folks working on less
commonly referenced works, but at least gives a feeling for the ones
that come off the top of my head.

John F. Schwaller
President
SUNY Potsdam