Nahuatl scholarship

Susan Gilchrist gilchrist.susan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 23:09:00 UTC 2006

On Spanish speakers examining Nahuatl picture writing in a legal context
around the time Cortés returned from New Spain, I'm working on a project to
show that the painting of El Jardín de las Delicias/The Garden of
Delights(Museo del Prado) includes a Nahuatl chronology, or more
precisely mnemonics
for one. Inter alia it's more or less a big wall chart for remembering e.g.
that 1524 was the year the Franciscans arrived and it was also the year
6-tecpatl. It's complicated to since nobody specializes in both the European
allegories and the Nahuatl picture writing, and I've resorted to a blog at
http://elboscoblog.blogspot.com/, which now has two side blogs at
http://hieronymus-bosch-miscellanea.blogspot.com/ and
http://anonymousartists.blogspot.com/, one for explanations from different
starting points and one for reattributions of paintings that will also
include some European images of Indians. The main blog is in the middle of a
digression on memory systems but will soon get back to the year 2-tecpatl.
It's so complicated that it almost boils down to a demonstration of how
people might have decided to accept Nahuatl documentation but keep it
simple.
Susan Gilchrist