How Nahuatl found me

Maria MDBOLIVAR at san.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 15:08:20 UTC 2006

I forgot to mention. At UCSD, where I got my PhD, I only knew John
Sullivan who was interested in Náhuatl. I believe he had a very hard
time convincing his professors there could be a specialty in Náhuatl or
at least a graduate student working in a doctoral dissertation in
Náhuatl. Beyond that there was not an interest in American Languages at
all. I am speaking for the field of Cultural Studies and Literature. In
linguistics the interest died. In my times Linguistics was into the
Natural Approach, with massive offerings in Spanish and less in French,
German, Italian and Russian. Again, little Mandarin and Japanese. Those
who specialized in Mexico did it on interesting fields, like Jewish
Mexican Literature and other aspects of culture having little to do with
Old Mexico. As a Mexicanist, I felt sad the majority of advisors
suggested and even induced students to focus on Modern Mexico and
literatures gravitating around Octavio Paz, Carlos Fuentes and José
Emilio Pacheco (if lucky). So Náhuatl, totally out of the question.

Maria Bolivar

"We don´t see things as they are,
We see things as we are."
Anais Nin