Techilnauayo

pthajovs at uchicago.edu pthajovs at uchicago.edu
Mon May 1 07:33:10 UTC 2006

Dear Listserv,

This will probably be a breeze for the greybeards out there,
but I’m stumped trying to translate one of the items listed as
part of the Aztec royal accoutrements in the Primeros
Memoriales, pp. 51r-v.  This item refers to the border of the
royal turquoise-colored tilma, probably to its tenixyo-like
decoration.  Since the item is part of the attire pertaining
to the kings, from Itzcoatl to Cuauhtemoc, the orthography
should be clear enough.  However, it is spelled several
different ways.  For now I believe the most accurate
transcription should be TECHILNAVAYO, but there are other
possibilities, such as TENECHILNAVAYO, TECHILNAVAYA, and
TECHILNAUAYO.  If my orthography isn’t failing me, –NAVAYO
seems to be correct—there seems to be a clear distinction
between other U’s and the character (V) in this word.  Another
interesting point about this word is that it is the only one
of the items listed that is not possessed with the 3rd person
i- (‘his’).

Anyway, there is probably some work out there already about
this word and object, but I’m at a loss right now to find it.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.  To help in this
endeavor, I have attached an image of clippings showing the
words I’m talking about.

Thank you for your help,

Patrick Hajovsky
Ph.D. Candidate