Schools

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sun May 21 16:51:12 UTC 2006

Estimados listeros:

I've long wondered about how accumulated knowledge of Nahuatl grammar was
transmited over the years, particularly during the 20th century. I know that
Mexican priest and scholar Angel Maria Garibay Kintana was a pioneer and I
think I read somewhere that he taught Miguel Leon-Portilla and Thelma
Sullivan. Francisco Horcasitas must fit in here somewhere. North of the
border several people dabbled in Nahuatl in the 19th century and early 20th
centuries, but it seems that Arthur Anderson played an important role in
digging in deeper and teaching others. J. Richard Andrews is obviously a key
figure, taking full advantage of the phonological and grammatical precision
to be found in Carochi's Arte of 1645. His influence is obvious in the
grammars and dictionaries of Frances Karttunen and R. Joe Campbell, the
pillars of this list. James Lockhart fits in here somewhere and seems to
have taught some of the people now publishing translations of old Nahuatl
texts. I don't know any of these scholars personally, so I don't have a
handle on their relative ages to see the generational perspective. Can
anybody out there help me put the pieces together to see some sort of family
tree of mentors and disciples? I'm particularly interested in any possible
connection between the mid-20th century school of nahuatlatos in Mexico City
and the people working in the US. The European school, whose flowering can
be seen on Marc Thouvenot's SUP-INFOR website, is another matter, and any
data on it would also be most welcome.

Saludos,

David Wright
www.paginasprodigy.com/dcwright