[Nahuatl] Warriors died in cambat

Simon Levack s.levack at dsl.pipex.com
Sat May 13 08:50:11 UTC 2006

Among the Mexica, at least, the belief was that warriors who died in
combat or were sacrificed escorted the Sun in the morning (the privilege
of escorting the Sun in the afternoon was reserved to their female
counterparts, women who died in childbirth) Then the warriors were
reincarnated as hummingbirds or butterflies.

I'd be intrigued to know the answer to Antonio's question, though. I've
not come across a specific name. The Cihuateteo were believed to come
back and haunt their menfolk (you can see their point!) and so were
objects of particular fear and reverence, and I suppose their name
reflects that.

Simon Levack
Author of the Aztec Mysteries
DEMON OF  THE AIR
*Winner of the Debut Dagger Award*
*Library Journal Best Genre Fiction of 2005*
SHADOW  OF THE LORDS
CITY OF SPIES

Please take a few moments to visit my website at
www.simonlevack.com