In memory of Bill Bright

Frances Karttunen karttu at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 01:39:15 UTC 2006

It occurs to me that the passing of Nahuatlahtoh William Bright may not
have been noted on this list.

Here is an announcement from the electronic bulletin of the Society for
the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas:

* ELF establishes Bill Bright Memorial Award
 From Nick Emlen (emlen at haskins.yale.edu) 17 Oct 2006:

We are saddened by the passing of Bill Bright, a long-time colleague
and a prolific scholar.  Bill's family has requested that memorial
contributions be made to the Endangered Language Fund.  We have created
a fund that will enable the creation of the Bill Bright Award.  This
will help memorialize his many years of contributions to linguistics and
his service to the profession as editor of Language (1966-87), Language
in
Society (1992-99), and the first edition of the International
Encyclopedia
of Linguistics, and as founding editor of Written Language and Literacy
(1998-2003).  From among the annual applications to the Endangered
Language
Fund's grant program, one successful project from those dealing with
languages in the Americas or in South Asia will be selected.  This will
be the project that best combines Bill's areal interests -- North and
Central America, South Asia -- with his topic interests:

    -- language description
    -- language and culture
    -- sociolinguistics
    -- writing systems
    -- creating culturally-acceptable orthographies for minority
languages
    -- differences between written and oral language
    -- oral literatures and their poetics
    -- onomastics, toponyms and naming in general

The Bill Bright project will receive a separate press release and an
additional amount of money equal to 10% of the proposed budget.  We hope
that this supplement will allow for additional efforts to promote the
work in the native speaker communities and with the general public.

Please help us honor Bill's memory by sending a contribution to:

                     The Endangered Language Fund
                     300 George Street, Suite 900
                     New Haven, CT 06511

Please make a note that this is in honor of Bill so that the funds can
be
ear-marked for this award.

Online donations can be made at:

https://www.networkforgood.org/donate/MakeDonation2.aspx?
ORGID2=061459207

Please put "Bill Bright Fund" in the Designation area.

                                                              --Nick
Emlen
                                                  Endangered Language
Fund