cuatemitoc

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 17 01:06:22 UTC 2006

MY SERVER SLIPPED:  I thought that I was replying both to John and the
Nahuat-l group, but I checked and saw that this message went only to John,
so here is a carbon copy of it (risking a certain amount of
unintelligibility with a phrase like "carbon copy", but we still "dial"
someone up to talk in this push-button age).

Joe

John,

     Your question caused me to oninocuatatacac quite a bit.  I still don't have
an answer, but I *do* have a question about verbs like "cua:te:mitoc" in
Chicontepec Nahuatl.
     In "older" Nahuatl (sometimes called "classical" or even "Classical"), the
"causative -a" suffix can be added to intransitive verbs and no deletion of the
verb stem final vowel takes place (e.g., aqui-a, capa:ni-a,
chipi:ni-a, coyo:ni-a, pozo:ni-a, tlami-a, tzili:ni-a, xiti:ni-a, etc.), but
when the causative -a suffix is added to certain other intranstive verb, the
verb stem final vowel is deleted (e.g., coto:ni --> coto:na, mani -- mana,
te:mi --> te:ma, tlapa:ni --> tlapa:na, to:mi --> to:ma, etc.).
    In Chicontepec Nahuatl, does the second set of cases not occur?   That is,
does the addition of causative -a result in all "-ia" transitive verbs and no
verbs that end in "consonant-a"?

    I label the two classes of causative "caus08" and "caus09", respectively,
and I've included some examples below as reminding questions.

Iztayohmeh,

Joe

Stems that take Caus08

aqui